Friday, April 22, 2011

Moe Strenfel? Yes please!

I just got wind that Moe Strenfel (Momentum Dog Sports) is holding a course on foundation training nearby...my first reaction was "Can we handle this?" but the more I thought about it, the more I got excited. This would be SO fun for Dash and I, I mean this woman trained with the Bailey's! (Click here for more info on them)

Operant Sonditioning is so much fun but is much harder than using traditional methods. Well, at least for a newbie like me it is. But luckily I was introduced to OC when Dash was still a baby so it's the only method he knows...it's incredible at how much faster he learns than our other traditionally-taught dogs.


Whatever object you put in front of Dash, he knows that if he starts pawing it/nosing it/mouthing it, then one of those behaviors is going to get him a treat. Whereas if I put an object in front of my traditionally trained dog, she just looks at me and waits for ME to do something.

But back on topic, Moe. Oh geez speaking of, I just checked my email and had an email from her...just emailing her makes me nervous. If I do end up taking this course the one thing I am SO nervous about it Dash's screaming issue. The only way I can quiet him is if I tug. It's a good thing and a bad thing...good because he is quiet and transferring his energy to the tug. Bad because he is learning that if he screams he gets a tug. His tug is the most valuable thing to him so me just giving it up whenever he wants it, is not a good thing.

-B

2 comments:

  1. Just relax Brit.:)
    Moe's Foundation seminar will be fun and easy. Keep Dash covered in a crate when he's not working or crated further away where he can't hear the action. If you stay calm and focused so will Dash. Good luck!
    Laura Pryse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura!

    Unfortunately some unforeseen circumstances came up and I am not able to take the class with Moe. :(

    ReplyDelete