Saturday, April 2, 2011

Class 2 & 3.

Phew! It has been quite awhile since I have blogged, but it's because I have been so busy!

We have now attended class 2 & 3 out of a total 6 obedience classes. Dash is doing fantastic and hasn't screamed during class. I think he now realizes that just because we are at the agility field doesn't mean that a trial is going on. Although Dash has been taught all basic obedience before we even signed up, this class has really reinforced the behaviors!

Dash's favorite game is when I put him in a Sit-Stay (or Down-Stay), walk a couple feet out and say "Readddddyyyy?" while dangling his tug, followed by "Get it!" He absolutely explodes out of his Stay to get his tug. I believe this game has really helped him to have an awesome drive towards me...and his first Flyball practice confirmed this.

Last Sunday we finally got the time to go out to Flyball (we've been trying for the past month). Of course, Dash didn't disappoint and SCREAMED as soon as we got there... The team captain got Dash in the restrained recall position while I ran out over 2 hurdles. I yelled "Readddddyyy" and then "Get It!" while running away from him. Boy did Dash explode out of that lady's arms and over those 2 hurdles...he wanted his tug! The captain just stared at him and said "Boy he's fast!"

We eventually did the entire course with him and he never went around a hurdle, he stayed right on course like a good boy. The only issue we have is that Dash has never played with a tennis ball. From the moment I got him at 13 weeks old, agility people told me "NO TENNIS BALLS" so Dash has only had tug toys. So over the past week I have taught that in order to get his tug he has to bring me his tennis ball. Luckily he picked this 'trick' up very quickly.

Sorry for such a long post, I just had so much to update!

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment