Monday, May 9, 2011

CGC Class #3.

My dog was awesome! I was awesome! WE WERE AWESOME!

Dasher and I are finally getting the hang of this training stuff...well I guess it was just me holding us back but now that I'm applying things I have learnt, we are progressing so fast!

In case I've never mentioned it (as I'm too lazy to search my old blog posts) I am using only positive based methods to train Dash. No physical correction or verbal corrections. We ignore the bad and reward the good...which is a lot harder than it sounds. But Dash learns SO fast with this method that it's amazing.

But back to my CGC update: He stayed in place when a person approached me and pet him, he did down on command without having to do 'sit' first, he is able to do a stand/stay (so cool!!!), and he can also do a down from a few feet away.

Homework for this week:

Stand/Stay, then 'Down' from a few feet out: Dash has this in the bag, no problemo.

Sit/Stay while stranger approaches and pet him: He stays 3/4 out of 5 times.

Heel work:
It's decent but we have a lot of room for improvement, especially around distractions :/

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment