Thursday, February 17, 2011

Puppy Days.

I miss the big ole puppy belly, the puppy breath and of course the innocence.
                                 Here we are bringing Dash home at just about 13 weeks.

Dash comes from purely working lines, as do his parents and their parents and so on. As we drove up their driveway to look at what could possibly be coming home with us, we saw a Border Collie out working sheep. I didn't admit it outloud but I was sold!

They had planned to keep him but eventually decided that they didn't need another male. According to them, he was the smartest of the whole litter and was quite the trouble maker. He was constantly getting out of the puppy pen and getting into the sheep pen. At 13 weeks old he had zero fear of the herd and would try to work them! My curiousity got the best of me and they gladly put him in with the sheep just so I could see.

Imagine a red fuzzball the size of a dodgeball, running around yapping at these huge sheep. It was the cutest thing I had even seen! Unfortunantely I had to leave him as we had another litter to "access"...they claimed to have puppies from 'working lines' as well. That's a whole 'nother story".

I obviously ended up picking Dash and I have never regretted the decision. He is a very independent dog, but gladly works for me any time I ask (other than at the agility trials!). He is very intelligent so I have to watch my back with everything I do as he tends to watch me...then come back later to try and get whatever I just put away.


                                             Getting into our little dog's house.

So if you have a puppy, don't be in a rush for them to grow up. I know I used to think the 18 month minimum age requirement for agility was SOOOO far away, but now that it's only 9 months away...will we even be ready in 9 months?! Just enjoy the puppy days while you still can..<3

-B 


No comments:

Post a Comment